Imagine the anticipation . . .
You have gone to the store and carefully shopped for the best cuts of meat.
You have had little else on your mind for the last two weeks – the last year really.
You make you checklist and double check it to make sure you aren’t forgetting anything:
- grill ☑ ☑
- grilling tools ☑ ☑
- your special recipes ☑ ☑
- Aluminum foil ☑ ☑
- can opener ☑ ☑
- matches or lighter ☑ ☑
- beverages ☑ ☑
- spices ☑ ☑
- paper plates ☑ ☑
- plastic cups ☑ ☑
- chips ☑ ☑
- dips ☑ ☑
- car is filled with gas ☑ ☑
- extra blankets ☑ ☑
- sunblock ☑ ☑
- tents/canopies/tarps ☑ ☑
- chairs ☑ ☑
- folding tables ☑ ☑
- lawn games ☑ ☑
- radio to listen to pregame ☑ ☑
- extra batteries for the radio just in case ☑ ☑
- maybe even a portable TV that runs on the cigarette lighter ☑ ☑
- jumper cables – just in case ☑ ☑
- maybe even a small generator ☑ ☑
- email friends where you will be in the parking lot so they can join you ☑ ☑
- Twitter account set up on your phone so you can share your thoughts real time ☑ ☑
- Facebook account set up on your phone also so you can post there ☑ ☑
- alarm set so you can get ready 5 hours before the game ☑ ☑
- Shirt that states your true love in your team’s colors clean and ready ☑ ☑
- face paint ☑ ☑
- maybe even a costume ☑ ☑
- For those that are really serious, maybe even a portable potty for emergencies ☑ ☑
You have a hard time sleeping . . . You are too excited to sleep!
Nothing is going to prevent you from going – nothing is going to keep you from enjoying. Nothing!!!
There will be chest bumps, high fives, hugs, kisses, tears, anger, joy . . .
The anticipation is tremendous!
Your joy and love for this day and this game can seen in your careful preparations . . .
This is going to be an AWESOME tailgate party and an AWESOME day!!!
Now imagine the following . . .
Imagine doing all of this preparation
and anticipation for church . . .
Matthew 6:21 (Paraphrased)
21 For where the things you consider important and valuable to you are,
there your heart, mind and soul will be also.