2 Timothy 3:1-5 (AMPLIFIED and EXPOUNDED)
1 But know this . . .become aware of it . . . be conscience of it . . . understand it intellectually:
In the final days . . . the farthest (as in the extreme limits of space) – the last in the final events in this series ( the allusion to final judgment),
The impending and current times (the present times) will be hard, fierce, violent, perilous, dangerous, grievous, harsh, painful, and difficult . . .
2 Human beings – Mankind, will be:
- LOVERS of SELF– have affection for self. Be self-centered and self loving (Narcissistic)
- MONEY-LOVING . . . obsessed with concern for money. Have love and affection for money.(Prosperity gospel come to mind?)
- Braggers – Itinerant impostors bragging and boasting AND deceiving people into believing their claims or curing and healing abilities . . . Itinerant Philosophers and Teachers selling their doctrines and wisdom to anyone that will pay . . . FAKES full of Tricks . . .(How many television preachers can you name that do just this?)
- Arrogant – proud, and haughty. They will display insolence and brutality . . . violent – cruel . . . inwardly or outwardly or BOTH. In a word, UNGODLY.(Those that are destined to be humiliated by God)
- BLASPHEMERS – Slandering, insulting, and abusive . . . revilers . . .(All one has to do is look at politics to see if God is insulted and slandered daily . . . )
- Stubborn and Disobedient to PARENTS . . . which is TYPICAL of the wickedness of mankind . . . (Ironically in and according to the text, the DISOBEDIENT are OUTSIDE the fellowship of God)
- Ungrateful – without thanks.(The OPPOSITE of being kind and not expecting thanks or a reward for kind acts – works)
- UNHOLY – extreme wickedness – worldly.(You are to be Holy because I am Holy)
- 3 UNLOVING – the OPPOSITE of the natural affection between parents and children, or between close relatives – one’s family members. NOT in the Septuagint . . .A word used to describe ROME’S killing of UNWANTED CHILDREN . . . even justifying as the Roman philosopher Seneca did that it was justified to DROWN weak or deformed children. Roman ABORTIONS and infanticide were described with this word . . .(Unspiritual and worldly – human standards OVER Holy ones . . . )
52 million abortions since 1973 . . . and this word and meaning was coined in biblical times . . . to address end times where THIS would happen . . .
- Truce-breakers – not willing to make shalom (peace) or come to an understanding . . . unforgiving . . . implacable . . . unappeasable . . . It is a sin of rebellion . . .
- ACCUSERS – set against – enemies . . . . slanderers. People that accuse falsely with no witness or backup . . . Devils . . . ie, the word used: diaboloi . . . Satan.
- Without Self Control – giving power to – letting proclivities master you – giving “lordship” to things such as lust, lies, stealing, and a whole list of UN-Holy things . . .
- Brutal – untamed – Savage – uncivilized . . . .barbarian.(how many families witness fits of rage (whether in Christian households or not) where things are broken in savage anger and family members, especially children, are terrified?)
- NOT loving what is good – God is good . . . God’s word is good . . . this person is a despiser of what GOD SAYS is good . . .(Whoa to those that call good evil and evil good . . .)
- 4 APOSTASY – Turning from God towards sin . . .Traitors – betrayers of God. Causing the Holy to desecrated . . .
- IMPULSIVE – rash – reckless. To fall . . .
- DELUDED – CRAZY – DEMENTED – conceited – puffed up – BLINDED – FOOLISH. (proud people knowing nothing) – Foolish pride . . . and pride leads to Sheol.
- PLEASURE-SEEKING – to love and have strong affection for LUST and its PLEASURES.(It has the connotation of REPLACING one’s love for GOD)The God loving person allows NOTHING to infringe upon his DEVOTION TO GOD which is the opposite of this word . . .
This is quite an ugly list . . .
A heart breaking list . . .
The command that starts this list tells us to:
- Become Aware of it . . .
- Be conscience of it . . .
- Understand it intellectually . . .
One reason is VERY CLEAR . . . so you can AVOID BEING THIS PERSON!
The second reason is hard for some to come to terms with . . . . in the final verse, we are given a WARNING: SHUN these people! TURN AWAY from them! Turn your face away from them!
Other than the obvious . . . is there another reason?
5 They possess – cling to – hold . . . but notice the word in the Greek . . . it is significant to understanding – ECHO . . .
a “form” – appearance – semblance . . . it is perceived by others that they have . . . but is actually deceptive concerning the INWARD reality . . . an ECHO . . .
Of Piety . . . godliness. Reverence towards God and His commands. It means RIGHT CONDUCT before GOD.
In other words, on the OUTSIDE they present an ECHO of godliness . . . but INSIDE they are:
Lovers of SELF, MONEY-LOVING, Braggers, Arrogant, Blasphemers, Stubborn and Disobedient to PARENTS, Ungrateful, UNHOLY, UNLOVING, Truce-breakers, ACCUSERS, Without Self Control, Brutal, NOT loving what is good, APOSTASY, IMPULSIVE, DELUDED – CRAZY – DEMENTED, PLEASURE-SEEKING
but REFUSE . . .DENY . . . RENOUNCE . . . REJECT . . . DECLINE,
the Power, might and strength of living with RIGHT CONDUCT before GOD.
. . . From THESE PEOPLE . . . people that outwardly call themselves believers
but inwardly detest right conduct before God – – –
FROM them, we should turn our face – turn away from.
Is it any wonder with these OUTWARD believers . . .
These believers that present an outward ECHO of right conduct before God . . .
– – Yeshua (Jesus) says about those that will ENTER the Kingdom of Heaven
people that will have nothing but an ECHO of right conduct before God . . .
They will begin by rationalizing their ECHOS (attempt to make the unreasonable sound reasonable)
- ‘Lord, Lord! Didn’t we prophesy in your name?
- Didn’t we expel demons in your name?
- Didn’t we perform many miracles in your name?’
Yes, they will have an ECHO . . .
And He will say to their faces:
‘I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness!’
Complete Biblical Library Greek and Hebrew Dictionaries were used to expound and amplify.